Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Spring break my ass.....

Last Friday afternoon, I walked across a half empty campus, sun shining, nearly 70 degrees, past my fellow hard core (read, hope the professor takes note of our obvious commitment and assigns due extra credit) classmates who were all optimistically sportin flip flops, and smiled at all the feel good, we are so outta here spring break bound energy.

Cut to the weekend. Cloudy. Cold. Raining. Oh, well. As good an excuse as ever to catch up on some serious house cleaning. Finally put away the Christmas decorations...shut it, I *know* it is March. Ignoring the fact that it's supposed to snow later in the week, started packing up the sweaters and turtlenecks and pulled out my polka dot swimsuit and sandals. Got a hold of myself before I packed away the down comforters and flannel sheets. Dusted for the first time in, well, never mind. Sounds like a blast, right? Those kids down in Florida ain't got nothin on me.

With the weekend shot, and Monday morning fast approaching, I started making big plans for my week off. As the universe smiles upon me, the girl's spring break does not coincide with mine which meant that I would have an entire week to blog at my leisure, do a little shopping, catch up on a TON of reading I'm behind in (Ecology, Art History, and the influence of Darwinism on Victorian era literature--now why would I be behind with such stimulating material at my fingertips???) and write a paper that's looming---oh, and because I'm entirely unrealistic, I picked up two novels from the library that I have been eager to read. Go, lu, go!

Late Sunday afternoon, J started to get sick. You know how you can just tell by looking at your kiddo that something's not right. Perfect. No fever, it's just a cold, but she was miserable enough that I knew she wouldn't be going to school the next morning. I spent my Monday wiping a runny nose, administering OJ, and comforting an extremely whiney four year old. Between the two of us, I think we had four hours of good sleep the night before. Good times! By bedtime on Monday, she was 100% better and helping me pack her lunchbox for the next day.

I woke up on Monday knowing full well that I probably had 24 hours before I was going to feel like crap. Had the scratchy throat, runny nose, and stuffy head. Last night I was burning up and having the chills. J put her tiny hand on my forehead and said, "Sweetie, I think you have a fever. You might need to take some medicine. Want to share some of my grape stuff?" Awwww...how sweet is that? I have gone through two boxes of Puffs and woke up this morning looking and feeling as though I had the shit beat out of me. Puffy, swollen, purple eyes, red, sore nose, and achy, achy, achy. J presented me with a 'git wel' card this morning that featured several drawings of various animals. One of which I interpreted as a tortoise but was quickly corrected:

Mom, that is a hippo. Don't you see its brussel sprouts?

Brussel sprouts?


Yeah, you know these? ( impatiently pointing to her nostrils while rolling her eyes at her mother's obvious stupidity)

Me, smiling in spite of how bad it hurt my face to do so, Oh, nostrils.

Indignantly, That's what I said. Sprouts.

5 Comments:

Blogger aka_monty said...

Now THAT'S funny. :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

Oh, except for the fact about sick you and sick children. THAT'S not funny. :(
I hope you're all well and healthier now.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

What would we do without our kiddos? Gotta love 'em!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous nina said...

I love it whenever I get a card from my kidlet. Almost worth getting sick for. Almost.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous nina said...

Oh, and Michele sent me!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home